Tuesday 2 August 2011

My work in closer detail....

It was really hard deciding on what work to take up - especially as space was of a premium - however, what I decided to do was to include a cross-section of some of the work that I have done over the past couple of years.  Some of it was a selection of my degree work, starting with my Angel studies (which I must admit are my real passion), which then lead on to my 'building series' which was based on Yates' Wine Lodge and the demolition of the building.  This started with elements of architectural enquiry and then moved on to my other passion of mixed media, as I tried to depict the collapse of this monumental site.
The bright abstracts were my own inventions purely for 'fun' as it were - as they were not a part of my university course.
I hoped that I was able to encourage and provide a talking point for most people - as different disciplines/mediums appealed to different people - some people wanting clarification and others just in awe of some of the processes and end results.  All in all the feedback was very encouraging, as it is quite a scary feeling just getting your art out there and under scrutiny.  When people see my things in a gallery, mostly amongst colleagues work, they expect to be taken on a journey, surprised, intrigued, with preconceptions and with answers to their questions, based on artists statements.  However, out in the 'real world' where people can come face to face with the artist and their artwork, away from the conventional/traditional exhibiting forum, it is laid bare (as am I).